Packing is often the least favorite part of moving. It’s boring and time-consuming, you go through boxes really quickly, and you always seem to pack something you need. Moving expert Jason Moyer, Vice President of Moyer & Sons, is here to help. Here are some tips from a moving professional on how to make your move a smooth one.
Moving and Packing Tips
- Start with decluttering. This sounds a little crazy since you might not even have your home on the market yet but getting rid of unnecessary things makes your property more appealing to potential buyers. Pack up those unnecessary photos, candles, and clutter and put it in storage for a little while. Moyer & Sons offers a decluttering package – details listed at the bottom of this post.
- Do a little each day. Once you have a closing date, start packing. It’s never too early to start. Jason recommends starting about 2 months in advance so that you can do a little each day. He says, “Start with two boxes each day, then after a few weeks start doing 3-4 boxes a day. You might have to do one ‘jam day’ at the end but you should have everything pretty well sorted out by then.”
- Pack the stuff you never use first. When was the last time you pulled a book off that bookshelf? Do you need that punch bowl anytime soon? Take a minute to look through each room of your house and identify what isn’t used frequently, then pack those items first. As you get closer to your moving date, you can start packing the things you use more often.
- Write the room on each box. It might be helpful to you if you write the contents on the front of each box, but it’s even better if you can write what room you want it in. “Books” could be children’s books that belong in the nursery or novels for the living room display. Identifying the room mean the movers can do the bulk of the work so that you don’t need to shift boxes around after they leave.
- Pack similar items together. Try not to mix rooms in one box. It will make it easier when you unpack and simpler to mark the box for the right location. Keep kitchen items in boxes marked for the kitchen.
- Keep clothing in dresser drawers. For a local move, certain dressers are okay to use for clothing storage. Save a few boxes and some time! If you have any other items in your dresser, make sure you remove them. (Like that gift you’ve been hiding.)
- Mark the boxes you’ll need to open first. As you start packing the daily items, make sure you mark the boxes to indicate that these containers are a priority. Let your movers know where they should be stacked so that you can easily find them after the move.
- Identify areas for furniture vs. stacking boxes. When you’re at your new home, tell the moving crew where furniture should be placed and where they can start stacking boxes.
- Pack a necessities box. You might find it helpful to pack (and label) a box that includes bathroom necessities like toilet paper, towels, and shampoo. The same carton could contain paper plates, cups, trash bags, coffee, and coffee pot. You might even want to make it a “parts” box by adding remotes, hardware (bed & table screws). This will come in handy after your tired from a long day of moving but still need to eat and get ready the next morning.
Bonus Tip for Finding a Moving Company
Don’t be fooled by a low quote. Be careful with online pricing for moving companies. Sometimes companies will provide a lower quote, only to add on fees and other unexpected costs. Do your homework and ask your network for recommendations. Cheaper is not always better.
Moving isn’t easy but with the help of a local company like Moyer & Sons, it can be a smooth transition to your new home. They have over 50 years of experience moving people and their belongings. They also offer special discounts for our clients.
Local Move Discounts
- 10% Discount on Regular Hourly Rates
- 10% Discount on Boxes/Packing Supplies
- No Charge for the First 15 Days at our Warehouse Facility
- Free Used Boxes (subject to availability)
- Two professional Moyer & Sons movers for up to 3 hours with 1-hour travel for $480.00
(additional charges may apply if over 3-hours)
- Two secure storage vaults
- 30 days of the vault storage are complimentary
Contact Moyer & Sons today for a free estimate at 800-726-1817 or visit their website at moyerandsons.com.
Need help finding your dream home first? Give us a call!