Clarksburg Real Estate
Clarksburg is in northern Montgomery County located along the Interstate 270 technology corridor about 4 miles north of Germantown.As an unincorporated area, Clarksburg’s boundaries are not officially defined.Clarksburg is named for trader John Clarke and was established at the intersection of the main road between Georgetown and Frederick and an old Seneca trail. One of its earliest inhabitants was a man named Michael Ashford Dowden, who in 1752 received a patent for 40 acres from the colonial government called “Hammer Hill”, and two years later permission to build an inn. The inn itself is a footnote in history, hosting the army of General Edward Braddock during the French and Indian War, serving as a meeting place for local Sons of Liberty in the years before the American Revolution, and possibly serving dinner to President Andrew Jackson on his way to his inauguration. Jamie, grandson of the trader, built a general store in the area around 1770, and over the next thirty years enough people moved to the area that Clark was appointed postmaster for the community. By 1875, Clarksburg was a major town in the northern part of the county. In 1964, the Montgomery County planning commission decided that Clarksburg would be the last community along Interstate 270 that would have large-scale development. The Montgomery County Council adopted a master plan for Clarksburg in 1968, which rezoned land for a mix of townhouses and single-family houses. A retail area was planned to be built in Clarksburg, A Harris Teeter-anchored shopping center opened and a large outlet mall opened. Clarksburg has a park and children’s playground named Park Daniel, and Little Bennett Regional park is nearby.