Paint ceiling white
Bright accent colors
Look for natural inspiration from the seasons. Tip: take note of your favorite colors when you’re out and about.
White lamp shade reflects light vs. absorbing it
If bright white doesn’t work, use lighter shades
Use large mirrors to reflect light and create an additional “window” in the space
Additional Lighting Tips
- Adding a large overhead light to a dark room, creates a focal point showing the room is dark
- Shadows create a harsh look to a room
- Can lights disperse light throughout the space and eliminate shadows
- Add a dimmer switch! Creates ambiance and warmth while allowing for different levels of lights
- Spotlights on art or specific design elements in a room also bring in light and interest.
Source: “But Where Do I Put the Couch?” – Melissa Michaels & Kari Anne Wood